Armata-frammenti © Photo: Paselli

<< return

L'Armata a cavallo - Text fragments

Dalla scena 6: Ghedali

L'Armata a cavallo – Text fragments

From scene 6: Ghedali

GHEDALI The revolution: to it we will say yes. But, on the Sabbath, should we perhaps say no? Yes, I cry out to the Revolution, I cry out yes, but she will not show herself to Ghedali and sends forward only riflemen...

LJUTOV The light of the sun will not penetrate in those who have their eyes shut, but we will open the eyes of those who don't want to see.

GHEDALI The Pole shut my eyes, the Pole is an evil dog. He grabs hold of the Jew and rips the beard off his face, oh, what a dog! And now this evil dog is being defeated. This is something wonderful, this is really the Revolution. And when those who have beaten the evil dog say to me: "Sell us your grammophone at a discount, Ghedali", I respond to the Revolution: " Madam, I am a great music lover...". "Ghedali, what can you ever know about love? I will have you shot and then you'll learn love, because I can't do without shooting, I, who am the Revolution".

LJUTOV She can't help shooting, Ghedali, because she is the Revolution.

GHEDALI But the Pole shoot as well, my dear sir, because he is the counter-revolution...

And you shoot because you are the Revolution. But the Revolution is contentment, and contentment wants no orphans in the house. A good man does good things. But good men do not kill. The Revolution is a good deed by good men. But good men don't kill. This means that the Revolution is made by evil men. The Poles are also evil men. Who will tell Ghedali on which side is the revolution and on which side is the counter-revolution? Once, I studied the Talmud, I appreciate Rashi's commentaries and the books of Maimonides. And in Zhitomir, there are others who understand. And so, all of us, educated people, will throw ourselves face-down on the ground and cry: "Alas! Where has the beneficent revolution gone?".

Ghedali falls silent. The soldiers spy the first star.

GHEDALI Comes the Sabbath and the Jews must go to the synagogue. Comrade Sir (standing to his feet) please bring to Zhitomir a few good men. Oh, our city has a shortage, a great shortage of them! Bring us some good men and we will give them all our grammophones. We are no ignoramuses. The Internationale, we know what the Internationale is. I want an Internationale of good people, I want them to enroll every soul in the Party and that a first class ration be assigned to each. Here, my love, eat and enjoy life! The Internationale, Comrade Sir, you haven't the faintest idea of what it's eaten with...

facebook © 2011 OYLEM GOYLEM ALL RIGHTS RESERVED  |   P.IVA 13071690153   |   cookies policy

By using this site you agree to the placement of cookies on your computer in accordance with the terms of this policy